Foodista Challenge #24 – Mamma Mia! Italy without cheese !
Do you remember me saying you have to try everything out?
Well, here I am improvising a recipe for the Foodista Challenge #24 where the theme this month is “Mamma Mia: Italy without cheese”.
Just in case, know that I can cook but I am not a Chef. This challenge is therefore a discovery and a trial that I met with delight.
The Foodista Challenge, what is that?
It is a culinary challenge started by Stéphanie from her Blog Cuisine moi un mouton (French)
Every month, the previous winner chooses the new theme and the last has been won by no one but my good friend Rico, the Chef 🙂 It’s the main reason why I take part in the contest 🙂
So, my recipe: Three Vegetables CANNELLONIS, depicting the italian flag.
I have to admit it was not easy. The theme meant I have to come up with something without cheese, which is something I like. Then, the cooking was a whole different story.
- the paste: for 2 you need 2 eggs, 200g of flour and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- the tomato sauce: fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, onions and spices (salt, pepper, “herbes de provence”, bay leaves).
- the filling: it’s only beef with italian onions and a bit of tomato sauce.
- the dressing: courgette cut into slices, turnips cut into strips and basil leaves.
- in a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the paste until you get something solid without being too dry (add a tiny bit of water if needed). Let it rest at least 30 minutes at ambient temperature, the longer it rests the easier you can work it later. Once ready, roll it and shape it into cylinders.
- for the tomato sauce: cut the onions into pieces, stir them into a pan with heated oil. In the meantime, boil the fresh tomatoes after you cut their skin to make it easier to remove later. Mix the tomatoes with tomato paste and pour it with the onions. Add spices to your liking.
- then, steam cook the courgette’s slices, they will melt in the mouth.
- stir the turnips’s strips until a slight golden brown to keep their crunchyness.
- cook the paste cylinders in boiling water then fill them with filling.
- dress the meal: add the courgette’s slices, the turnips’s strips and a hint of tomato sauce.
- season to your liking, add the basil leaves.
- serve with a drink and salad 🙂
Here is the result!
A huge thank you to my two guinea pigs who dared to trust me: Mary and Nico 🙂
Let’s not forget all of our contestants:
Chez Papa Rico – Pourquoi je grossis – J’ai toujours aimé le jaune moutarde – Keskonmangemaman –Chachou à la crème – Gourmand et Bio – I am hungry – Styx Art – Cuisine 2 soeurs – Petite cuillère et Charentaise – Cooking & Co – La table de clara – Encore un gâteau – Craquounette avenue – Une cuisine pour Voozenoo – Le blog de cata – Cookin’ Movie – Douceurs maison
That leaves us with that much recipes to try out every month 😉
Thank you all for this great experience and see you soon for another challenge.